RLP out in the World

RLP out in the World
Caye Caulker, Belize

Rural Literacy Project

Followers

Sunday, April 4, 2010

There is a World Out There !

As I hoped, life will and has unfolded. I actually had a social day yesterday. So much so that I hid behind my closed door when Erin returned home for the evening.

What a wonderful day! Great tea with Masala Chai herbs and spices ummmmmm, a coffee at Hasty Tasty's, YES I DARED, DID IT, and ENJOYED MYSELF. I had been told by acquaintances in Dar to visit with the mom and son owners, I did. I introduced myself and it was so absolutely kind and warm a reception. They checked in on me, insisted that I move to a more comfortable spot and that I make myself comfortable. They even sell food that looks like I want to eat it. Wow, I might just make it through without my usual loss of 15 pounds.

Then a study date. AMAZING. Julio really does want to study. He wants nothing more than to teach me Kiswahili and to learn better Spanish. He actually knows a lot, so I had better study. He wanted to know about the intricacies of pronouns, UGH. Why I thought, and then said, 'well look at the time, guess we better quit now." Kidding, but I do have to review this stuff since it manages to fly out of my head as quickly as it flies in. We sat in a park near the clocktower and studied for close to two hours.

And he is going to bring me to play soccer today or tomorrow. Well, I think he is. I am not certain, because through his intense disbelief and ridiculous laughter at the idea that 'this old, white lady really is a soccer player,' I think that he agreed. He is super sweet and when we parted ways, my thought was, 'this guy is going to be my friend.'

Then the easter egg hunt, watching a futbol match between Manchester and .....the other star english team, phenomenal chai, homemade not by the swede but by the indian mom. There was told a great story of the swede making chai for everyone up until the day Pretty, the indian mom, became comfortable enough in the company to say, 'Stop, no more, please never make chai again, I shall do it and it will be drinkable.' A funny story, a super enjoyable tea date.

Four of them, a tanzanian, indian, swede, american, 3 of the 4 have children of mixed race. I think that I thoroughly enjoyed their company. It might be too much to hope for, but I think I just found more company to keep in the future. The swede has the wonderful 4 boys. I love them, they are full of life and love. Here as in many countries there is a politeness that we americans do not display. When you walk into a home, everyone even young children shake your hand and say welcome. Time to depart, same routine, but with a sincere thank you for visiting. It is very impressive. By that I mean it impresses upon you a feeling of warmth and welcome.

We had tea out on the porch underneath that big rock that i keep mentioning. The rock that many know Iringa to be famous for, this family lives in its shadow. We ended with a glass of wine and before we even sipped this, the silliness began. We shared stories and broke any ice that may have been able to exist in the warmth of Iringa.

They spoke in whispers of a 'members only club.' In case you have not made the assumption, they hate the idea. And I told the story, which I had all but forgotten of how at the holidays this year I came up with a brainstorm of how phil or I should sell one of our houses and share the money and give the person whose house is sold a space to sleep in the non-sold house. Yes phil is my ex husband and yes he did find the idea absolutely and utterly ridiculous. I still stand by the reasonability of it, being unemployed and having no desire to return to full time work.

But the story was such fun that I was forced to continue. I expounded on the kindness of Phil in not laughing out loud and how after his knowing and loving me for so many years he has learned to just stare in bewilderment and say nothing. When I shared his stifled final response of, 'Well that is an idea to consider." I thought they would fall of their chairs. I waited an appropriate moment or two and followed this with a comment about how we could tell his girlfriend/partner about the idea later. I am sure one or two of them did fall off chairs at this point. They also made me tell the story a second time.

So I am happy to say we had fun and I think they will invite me again. Oh, yes the swede who lives there with 4 beautiful boys is the one I mentioned in an earlier post, the one that I hoped for no reason would invite me to dinner. YEAHHHAAAAAAA life unfolds.

Also a glass of wine, in the heat, with little food intake and virtually no alcohol intake, yeowza, fun. A light buzzy feeling that dissipates quickly but, is funny in the moment. We laughed about their driving and my walking or stumbling home over the ruts and puddles.

Nintoka and Ninataka. Very different words.....ninTAtaka,,,with the 'ta' take it..... meaning "i want' and nina-TOka with the 'to' go to or come from. means i am from.. so there you have it, kiswalhili. MIMI NI MWALIMU, this is I am a teacher, oh yeah,,kick it.......

hasta pasta

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sue, genuine curiosity about others and willingness to welcome what comes to us is rare...you have both. Those skills will taske you places that language alone cannot. Thanks for sharing the journey.

Stay well,
Pat