RLP out in the World

RLP out in the World
Caye Caulker, Belize

Rural Literacy Project

Followers

Friday, April 2, 2010

4/2/10 A morning in the life

It is morning, well here, not there, all is well. I am alone in the flat. It is Easter vacation and absolutely everyone is off on a safari or some exotic island. Don't they realize that right here under our noses that life is outstanding. I am planning on making myself a space in the kitchen that is mine and that the rotting food, crumbs, filthy dishes and pans hopefully will not encroach on......, I found a colorful flat basket that is drying in the sun from the mold and food particles that had worked their way into its beautiful folds. This shall be MINE. I am going to try and buy a piece or two of bright cloth today, I will use this to section off part of the counter.

I am also collecting pieces of tiles which are ground into the roads everywhere. I am imagining making a table top. It won't be bright, but it will be fun to make and usable. I have a desk and a bed, but would like something else to put stuff on next to bed. I know, I know, how bouigswa. HOw the hell does one spell that word. I have in and decided to end it in swahili. Kiswahili is entirely different than any romance language, but it is very phonetic. The few sounds that are not are comprable to some of the unique spanish sounds.

This morning I welcomed my flatmates 'safari driver,' by saying, Jina mi susana. He broke into the widest, most delightful smile and said, 'ahhh, you speak Swahili!" Not a question, just a delighted exclamation. I was so sorry to disappoint him, but it was fine. When I laughed and said, I know that sentence, he too burst into laughter.

This is going to be so fun. Before I head out to finally buy groceries that I want to eat (my rice dish from 4 days ago is thankfully gone. The peanutt butter that I added on day 2 or 3 helped, but never did mask the excessive salt taste, nor really make it very interesting) Speaking of interesting food though, the flat's cook (i dont use her, as it is expensive here and one less cost is better, plus it is often meat filled) made a vegie dish a few days ago. Masala mushroom sauce, OH MY GOD, there he is again, that guy god, it is so good. If only there wasn't frequently a crunch from the wonderful earth that insists on being part of the meal, then I would totally enjoy it. I know I said i am not eating her food, but i did sneak a million fingers full. And since nobody puts any food away, it sat right there in front of me for the past 2 days. How could i resist when my dinner was noodles with, hmmmmm one half hard boiled egg and salt that i pilfered from someone here.

OH YEAH OH YEAH someone just came to the door and i managed a second sentence,,,,freaking AYYYYYY. 'Sisemi kiswahili sana' except of course it sounded more like, 'Simi,,,sisese, siiiiiisemi ni, nonono ,, Sisemi swahili,,nononon, Sisemi Swahili sana." I don't speak Swahili. Oh yes the wonderful phrase above is, 'my name is sue' Jina ni susana. Rock and roll. I am off and running.

I am really quite pathetic, but if I can keep up my energy, it will come. I made a date to study 3 hours per day next week. I am so excited, except, yes, always an except, the teacher who is arranging this so accomodatingly, did not say when, where, or how. And I do not even recall her name. Ahhh. I can only hope she is happy enough about the increase in case flow that she will find me. If not, I have a second book to use.

Today the market and a coffee shop. Well they call it a coffee shop. You can find it on the web too. But I saw it the other day, Monday when i dared a town excursion and well. it did not look like anything I dared enter. Today it is my first or second stop. I shall do it, Hasty Tasty here I come.

Yesterday was field day at school. Hours of relay races. very well done, but extremely long and arduous for those of us sitting and watching. You, some of you will be proud of me though, I am actually doing it, sitting and watching. I am not trying to do it all. I am being an observer often. It is curious for me to sit back and watch. But I am liking it. I still have my notebook with Kiswahili in it and I had parents to meet, but I am not overcompensating for my mere existance.

I did begin to organize my class librarry. It is now half alphabetized and books have a letter in one corner indicating the where it belongs on shelf, based on authors last name, of course. My fellow travelers know this, far too well. Joci,,remember........ This was one of my niece Jocelyn's biggest jobs, alphabetizing and labeling books. No easy task when we are talking over 1000 books. I am also going to take it easy on teaching, really try and stay low key. My predecessor has been very kind. I realize her lack of info that she is passing on to me, is based on her low key teaching style. There is no real record keeping or list of what has been taught. She knows her students, my 12 students and that is sufficient. We spoke here at the flat and it was great. So I shall make some changes, I will not teach individual workbook lessons as has been done for the 3 language groups. I;ll start a project and teach within. Biographies I think. I shall not keep free reading as simply student with a random book, I shall begin a check in daily and record keeping by students of this check in book. I love this form of teaching reading, it works so well. Students must share what they learn from the book, so they must both decode and interpret. I know many students aren't doing this now, And as teacher we get to share the joy of reading and the potential for great adventure in each or most texts.

Otherwise, no biggie. school is school is school. I have an assistant and she knows everything. I have already made it clear to her, that she is now in charge. Her name is Pinkie. She is from here, very well educated and sure of herself. We shall do well together. I met her mom yesterday.

Otherwise, as for people. I wonder. Will I have any social life at all. Doubtful. But I have done this before, the month is Ecuador was essentially alone. I shall find ways to occupy myself. There is so much hiking right here from town. And of course once the language begins to come to me, I shall find places in the village to make visits, practice language And who knows what shall come from this. What if I make friends with some of the women sewing on the streets. ahhhh...so exciting

Just dared to answer the phone and @ 3 today I go and color eggs with Kristeen, school director's home here in the compound There will be a couple working with some NGO and the woman is working on opening libraries here in town. So once again, life holds a plethora of possibilities.

I must study or I won't ever dare the market ....yeah....i have a plan for the day. BIGBIGBIG plan.

Oh yes, google this area and find the big rock that is famous here. the name I dont know, but it has many mystical stories behind it and I can see it from many places that I walk. I just googled 'iringa, big rock' and found the name for you,,, Gangilonga Rock (talking stone). Check it out.

Who is coming so we can go on a safari? I am becoming weary of asking you all.... come on now,,, this constant questioning has to break down someone;s will. It always worked for Moll and Zoe, right girls. I have time tested the theory that if you ask the same 'will you travel with me question' no one can resist forever.

So, when are you coming?

besos,

1 comment:

lauren said...

hey sue, after reading the blog describing your spot on the beach, swimming in the Indian Ocean, I was ready to book my flight...then I read on....
You sound great, I was laughing out loud while reading.
A coworker of mine commented, while I was talking about RLP, and your current adventure, that we as a family must be soproud of you. I said yeah, but then realized that I have never expressed that to you,or quite honestly, realized it to be fact,then I wondered(since of course, I am by far the most enlightened of our bunch), rhetorically, if anyone else has