RLP out in the World

RLP out in the World
Caye Caulker, Belize

Rural Literacy Project

Followers

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Dar es Salaam

Amazing place. Something about this place immediately inspired me, I forget that I am not in latin america, there are so many similarities. I think there are more people on the streets than I have ever seen. All shades of darkness, clothing of such color on the women. Zoe you would love it, the are random patterns and blasts of colors that somehow work here in the intensity of the sun and heat. Head gear is beginning to make sense when I imagine the possible relief it could bring from the sun's rays.

Poverty, yes, pretty much beyond belief. Yet, life seems to flow just fine. Ahh, the men pushing bicycles with more weight than a small car would appreciate. Today there was a stream of ten or more bicycles with coconuts, on the back, hanging over the handlebars, a couple over the shoulders of each rider, harvest day I guess. So amazing to see, to wonder about this mode of transport. Up and down the beach other men would show up with a basket of bright clothes, a stack of hats or some other 'thing' holding it up high each time they passed a tourist. There were probably 20 or less of us spread out thinly in the beautiful cove, yet they patiently continued in their task. I can't explain it, it was crazy, futile even. I wonder if they sold one would it make a difference and if they don't, which I am imaging to be more probable, would this make a difference? I don't know.

But still it all seems ok?

Masai men in traditional dress, with a stick at their sides, tall, regal. Beautiful really. But how do they fit in this city? Or on the beach, again there seems a peacefulness. I don't know.

Beach today, yup. The beach. Sat under and thatch roof, had ginger beer and fish and mashed potatoes. I have never eaten mashed potatoes with such coating on top, not sure how aged they were, but whatever. Then swam in THE INDIAN OCEAN, holy smokes. Holy smokes that is all I can say.

I am confused by people though, without any language or prior experience I do not understand how to interpret the stares and voices coming at me when walking anywhere. Tamara is immune to it and doesn't react, she doesn't notice, just keeps chatting. I am intensely trying to figure out when it is ok to smile and say hello or habari. Which is the only word i know in Swahili, even though i bought a travel vocab book a month ago. And I only remember it by saying habachi, cooking on a habachi in my mind first, so really, it is generally far too late to use it after all that processing.

Every time I blast out a hello or thank you or some simple expression in english, I feel 'not so great' about not having more of the day to day words to use. Soon, I shall.

So of course I am sunburnt, to a crisp actually. Oh well.

OH GOOD NEWS, I made it to the next level with PBI peace brigades international, google it. My next job I am hoping. The Guatemala sect needs workers. The process is long and if I make it through the phone/skype interview then I get an invite to a week long training in London in June. fingers crossed please. My only fear that I realized today is that I might make it through and they may ask me to start before baby birthing time. And that is not going to happen.....

to sleep, to awake, to head to Iringa. I hear the Dar es Salaam bus station is hell on earth. I really can't wait to show up with two over sized backpacks, one on wheels............. now not only am a white, wealthy making me stand out, but i am a rosy white. Wish me luck, it gives me a bit of a fright, but all in a day's work.

besos a todos.

No comments: