RLP out in the World

RLP out in the World
Caye Caulker, Belize

Rural Literacy Project

Followers

Monday, June 7, 2010

Ilula College

Service Day at our school and I finally got out into the world again. A college, so to speak, a center for young mothers who had been required to quit school when pregnant and a volunteer staffed Aids Center. What a day. I met a couple of exceptional people, the day will come when I can converse with them in depth.

I already have a book drive in process and spent the weekend with a new friend, a Swedish service worker at the college. We'll be making jewelry here and at the college to sell to purchase more books for the dusty room referred to as the college library. All in all an empowering experience.

Think I neglected to mention my weekend in the country, on the tobacco farm, surrounded by mud huts that shot up to pick the tobacco in the day. I worked with a Masai mother making jewelry. She had walked 4 hours to collect her 9 dollar pay, baby, big baby on her back. She worked with us for hours, drank a few sips of water and turned around to walk the 4 hours back home.

I sat in a chair, with tea, toast, milk, whatever I wanted at my fingertips. I slept in a separate, artsy, bright, new, delightful cabana. I had no baby on my back and only had to walk 2 minutes. Albeit I did have to consider the plethora of poisonous snakes that Greite kept reminding were in great abundance. So maybe the torture of my flip flopped, 15 second walk has some comparative essence, hmmmm 4 hours, 15 seconds,,, maybe not....

I am hoping to return, my new swedish friend who we can call, Maria, because that is her name. She would like to come with me. Today Griete said we would be welcomed. I am sure she has plenty of work that she would have me do in exchange for the laughter of her company, and the access to the Masai Community. My hope is to bicycle and visit the women in their village. I hope. Maybe they give me the same kindness and allow me a few sips of water.....

I am now so kooky busy, tomorrow sit down volley ball and more business planning with Sara From NYC. We are still hoping to get back here for a short work session this fall. Then school is in the countdown, which means testing, reporting, packing up etc. Then there is another party at Si Villa this weekend. ohllalaaaaa, Have I managed to find a life?

Oh yes, there is also the thirty something guy that I have been studying, he spanish, me kiswahili, who has realized an important truth, that he and I were meant for each other,,,,, and we know this must be true and not at all connected to my being white, anglo, and oh so full of possibilities. I ignored him for as long as I could and finally just had to blurt out,,'que, enamorado con su abuelo.' What in love with your grandmother. My humor was lost on him. Alas,,,, this was the one I thought might prove of friend value. What a kook.

So no romance as far as I can see, but much to do. Oh gosh and the world cup begins. Here I am in the most international setting that i have ever experienced, World Cup. The one nice restaurant will be setting up a screen and fun fun fun.

to sleep

No comments: